Saturday, December 21, 2013

Mikey Persists!

My three boys were always selling something to raise money for their soccer and little league teams. Before my youngest son Mike was even old enough to play on a team, his older brothers noticed that he not only liked to sell but was good at it. Most of the time they would talk Mikey into doing their selling which meant that I had to walk the neighborhoods to help him carry the candy.

I still remember one sales pitch vividly.

When the lady of the house opened the door, Mikey said: “I’m selling these chocolate candy bars for $2 each and they have a $1 off coupon at Round Table Pizza and they have lots of nuts.


The lady looked perturbed and said:  “#1 I don’t like candy, #2 I don’t eat pizza and #3 I am allergic to nuts.”

And Mikey just stood there with a big smile and asked: “So how many would you like to buy?” 


Amazingly she bought six.

Selling comes down to persistence and a willingness to handle “no”. Most importantly it almost always requires asking for the sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment